Tuesday 10 July 2012

Cookie Cup-Brownies: Brookies


When I make a dessert there are basically three qualifications:

1. Can I make it in 3 bowls or fewer?
2. Can I make it with ingredients I already have?
3. Will it look cute?

If the answer isn't yes to all 3 questions, I move on.

Anyways, these brownie-cookie "brookie" cups totally aced the 3 baking rules. And boy were they cute.





One bowl for the brownie mix. Bake in 9 x 13" pan and cool.




Then cut into 1/2" squares. I won't say whether this is before or after I started prepping the brookie squares.




One bowl for the cookie mix. I made it from a cake mix because I wanted this to be dairy free and most cookie mixes contain dairy.




Combine in a well-greased mini-muffin tin. Oh my, does that brownie look delicious.




I greased my tin really well. Yum. Pop it in the oven at 350F for about 13-15mins




Oh my goodness.

Is this real life?

Oh yes. And that's chocolate buttercream frosting.

Drool.

Oh yeah, this is the third bowl. Thank goodness. I hate washing dishes.




And finally, the brookie.




In all its crumbly, fudgy, chocolatey glory.




Oh wait! Leftover brownies and leftover buttercream?




That is so the kind of problem I like to have.




Bonus desserts!




But let's not lose sight of the protagonist here.




Do you see that? That delicious, chewy brownie centre? The creamy chocolate frosting? All on top of a crumbly cookie?




Well I'm glad you saw it. Because now it's gone. Gone to a much better place.


B.faB and happy baking!

Concept based on this recipe by the Domestic Rebel. Frosting adapted from Martha Stewart's Ultimate Chocolate Frosting

Ingredients
Brownies
  • 1 box brownie mix 
  • 1 egg 
  • 1/4 cup oil 
  • 1/4 cup water 

Cookie Cups
  • 1 box yellow cake mix 
  • 1 cup mini chocolate chips 
  • 1 stick margarine*, room temperature 
  • 2 eggs 

Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
  • 3 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar 
  • 1 1/2 sticks margarine*, room temperature 
  • 1 cup cocoa powder 
  • 1/4 cup soy milk* 
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract 

Instructions
Bake brownies according to package instructions. Allow to cool. Cut into 24 1/2" squares.

Preheat oven to 350F. Mix together cake mix, margarine, and eggs. Combine until smooth. Stir in chocolate chips.

Generously grease a mini muffin tin. Spoon in cookie mixture to about 1/2 full. Press brownie squares into the centres of each cookie cup. Bake until a toothpick comes out clean, or 13-15 minutes.

While brookies are baking, combine confectioners' sugar and cocoa powder. Sift if desired. Add powder mixture to margarine about a cup at a time into mixer with paddle attachment. Add soy milk and vanilla. Adjust texture by adding more sugar or more soy milk if desired.

Remove brookies from oven. Allow to cool completely. Frost and serve. Makes 24 mini brookies.

*Note: This recipe is dairy-free. Feel free to use butter for margarine and actual milk instead of soy. 


No comments:

Post a Comment