Thursday 2 August 2012

Cake Batter Rice Krispie Cupcakes


Oh yes. Cake batter. Rice Krispies. Cupcakes. All in one.

Rice Krispie treats can be hit or miss. I want my sugary square to be gooey and sweet, but still hold its shape. Nothing is more disappointing than a hard, crunchy, brittle Rice Krispie square.

There will be none of that, here.

These treats are kicked up with cake batter flavour and a swirl of frosting. And sprinkles. Can’t forget the sprinkles.

Finally, a Rice Krispie that looks like more than a lumpy square.




Melt margarine in a microwave safe bowl. About 45 seconds should do it.




Stir in marshmallows. If they don’t melt right away, put the bowl back in the microwave 30 seconds at a time until you have a margarine-marshmallow soup. Yum.

Mix in cake batter. The mix should now be a sticky, gooey, thick consistency.

Perfect.




Mix the first 2 cups of Rice Krispies and sprinkles into the marshmallow mixture. Stir with a spatula to combine




Then add the third cup. Good as gold.




Drop a spoonful of the Rice Krispie mix into your well-greased mini-muffin tray.

Did I mention that I’m a bit obsessed with my mini muffin tray? I could make mini muffin everything all the time. Desserts just taste better when they’re minis. Right? Right. Also you get to eat more of them. Because they’re minis.

Logic. I specialize in that.




Gently press each Rice Krispie blob tightly into the muffin cup. You want to press it so that you get the cupcake shape without turning it into Rice Krispie dust. Know your own strength.




Once they’ve cooled completely, lift them from the tin with a knife and frost. And add more sprinkles. This step is necessary.




Aren’t they just adorable?




Gooey and chewy and deliciously sweet.




They actually taste a lot like yellow cake cupcakes, just with the texture of a Rice Krispie treat.




It’s a great pairing.




And the frosting just makes it all that much better. And cuter.




You will definitely want more than one of these minis.


B.faB and happy baking!

Cake batter Rice Krispie recipe adapted from 365 days of baking.

Ingredients
Rice Krispie Treats
  • 6 tbs margarine* (3/4 of a stick) 
  • 3/4 cup yellow cake mix 
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract 
  • 3 cups Rice Krispies 
  • 1/2 10oz bag of marshmallows (5oz) 
  • 1 tbs sprinkles 

Buttercream Frosting
  • 1/2 cup margarine* (1 stick) - room temperature 
  • 2 cups confectioners’ sugar 
  • 2 tsp vanilla 
  • 1 tsp almond milk* 

Instructions 
Melt margarine in the microwave (about 45 seconds). Mix in marshmallows and return to microwave for 30 second intervals, stirring between, until melted. Mix in cake mix and vanilla until combined. Add in sprinkles and 2 cups of Rice Krispies with a spatula. Add in the third cup of Rice Krispies.

Fill each well-greased muffin holder with the Rice Krispie mixture and press it in gently with the back of a spoon. Cool for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.

For frosting, cream margarine in stand mixer with paddle attachment, then slowly add in confectioners’ sugar until well combined. Mix in vanilla, almond milk and food colouring if desired.

Remove Rice Krispie cupcakes from tin with a knife. Frost and top with sprinkles.

*Butter and regular milk could be substituted for their non-dairy counterparts.
**Makes 24 mini cupcakes. For a 9 x 13” pan, double the recipe.
***Note: Also try this out with a marshmallow cream frosting!


36 comments:

  1. Samantha, thank you SO much for the referral!! What a GREAT idea, making them into cupcakes!!! I LOVE it!! So glad you enjoyed the recipe! I'm thinking I'm going to have to make these again soon because they were some of the BEST Rice Krispie treats we'd ever had!
    Big hugs and keep on baking!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lynne! I know, I have to make them again. My husband said they were the best he had ever had, too! Thanks for the sweet idea!

      Delete
  2. I feel the same way about mini food - it's the best. And these are so stinkin adorable! Love these :-) Thanks so much for joining the Back For Seconds Social! I love having you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for hosting such a sweet party! I sometimes feel like when I see new recipes, all I think is "I wonder if I can make that in minis".

      Delete
  3. These cupcakes are super unique!
    I just love them.
    And your photos are stunningly beautiful !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I really appreciate it - I'm still very very new to photography :)

      Delete
  4. These look so scrumptious! What a unique idea to turn them into cupcakes, I never would have thought of that. The pictures look good enough to eat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! They honestly taste even better than they look!

      Delete
  5. This is such a great idea. Super cute too!
    Thanks for sharing on Whatcha WHipped Up
    Dawn @ DJ's Sugarshack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dawn! And thanks for hosting such a sweet party :)

      Delete
  6. Haha I'm so with you on the mini logic! These look so yummy! Would love for you to link up at my Pin It Thursday party http://www.sweetbellaroos.com/2012/08/23/gap-shine-pin-it-thursday/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the recipe! I actually just made these and they taste amazing, but I didn't realize that it was going to only use 3/4 Cup of Yellow Cake mix...now I have almost an entire cake mix that I don't really know what else to do with! So next time, I will double, if not triple the recipe...It didn't make too many mini cupcakes. And they go FAST! So make lots:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, but I use my yellow cake for these cupcakes and for my 10-minute cake batter FUDGE: http://bakedfromabox.blogspot.ca/2012/07/cake-batter-fudge-10-minute-recipe.html
      Somehow, between this recipe and that one, I always manage to use up my yellow cake mix ;)

      But in all seriousness, this recipe is designed to fill exactly 24 cups in my muffin tin, so if you want more, just double or triple and put the rest in a 9x13" pan. You can always frost the squares if you want :)

      Delete
  8. What a brilliant idea!! These will definitely have to be made at our house!! Perfect to make to bring to school with the kids & share! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is my first time on your blog and I love it! Finally , someone that shares my love for gooey rice crispy treats, AND understands the importance of SPRINKLES! Everything tastes better with sprinkles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I totally agree. Sprinkles don't just make stuff look great - it totally tastes better that way :)

      Delete
  10. Heyy are you supposed to use wet cake batter or dry cake mix? We were confused by the picture and the directions and are concerned about them not cooking. Let us know. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dry cake mix! It adds not only the cake batter flavour, but a great rice krispie texture. I just made these again and they were SO GOOD.

      Delete
  11. i love your voice! you sound like so much fun, all the while explaining things quickly & simply.
    & your subject matter, well, is above reproach. cake batter? sprinkles? seriously.
    highlights:"logic. i specialize in that." &, "Add more sprinkles. This step is necessary."

    pretty much summed up my approach to life, in & out of the kitchen (sub "sparkles" for "sprinkles" in a non-food context).

    loved your great ideas & style! thanks, bunches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading and baking with me!

      Delete
  12. Wondering if this would work with Cocoa krispies and chocolate cake mix. I'm such a choc a holic! What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With chocolate buttercream frosting? *DROOL*. It's a chocoholic's dream! I'll have 3 please.

      Delete
  13. Hi,
    I am going to make these for my son's brithday party (he's allergic to egg so this seems like a reasonable alternative to regular cupcakes). Just wondering if you think I could make them regular sized cupcakes, or whether they'd be too big... Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My son's preschool requested that we don't bring in cupcakes for celebrations because of the crumbs but said Rice Krispie treats are okay. I can't wait to make these for the next party!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wat tip did u use- love that look?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my...I just doubled this recipe, used Funfetti cake mix, and pressed into regular sized muffin tin. Serving for my kids' birthday party tomorrow, and simply from licking the spoon, I know they'll be a hit! The best variation of cake mix Rice Krispy treats that I've found! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I made these for my daughter' s birthday party today and they were a hit. I included a link to your site on my blog! Thanks

    Tiffany @ Life Done Domesticali
    http://lifedonedomesticali.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Did you use pure vanilla in your frosting or imitation? jw because the flavor is drastically different when not baked?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just *had* to come and say these were the BEST rice krispy treats I have ever, EVER eaten. We just made them for a kid's Christmas party, stole a couple crumbs to taste, and loved it so much we immediately made another batch to eat tonight! YUM! I don't think I will ever make plain 'ole treats again!

    ReplyDelete
  20. These look delicious, and I'm very excited to make them! I was just wondering if I could substitute Funfetti cake mix for the Yellow cake, and if this would change the measurements at all?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Can't wait to try this for my food allergy child. I'll just substitute the butter for Earth Balance vegan butter and the cake mix with Betty Crocker gluten free yellow cake mix! plus a non-dairy icing. he'll be so excited

    ReplyDelete
  22. I don't use margarine. Will butter work just as well?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Question??? the Cake mix is supposed 2 be made into a batter or is it just the dry mixture added??

    ReplyDelete
  24. LOL disregard last post i saw it in here finally... u use dry cake mix... thanks

    ReplyDelete
  25. My mom made these at my request for my baby shower! My craving has been sprinkles rom day one amd these were perfect! Everyone asked for the recipe and every bite ead gone! There was still cake left but none of these :)

    ReplyDelete