Sunday 16 September 2012

Clodhopper Brownies

Well, the inevitable has happened. I have returned to work. Like real work where I wake up and leave my house and come home at the end of the day and make dinner and wonder where the day went and want to crawl into bed at 8:30.

I might have done that this week instead of publishing this recipe.

But this is perfect for those of us who feel (and frankly, are) too busy to bake. Boxed brownies are my go-to. Anyone can stir a brownie mix, egg, oil, and water with a fork and bake for half an hour. Really. It takes 5 minutes to prepare.

In fact. Stop reading. Go do that right now.

Ok. Now we can talk about the extra special somethings that will make those 5 minutes of effort more than worthwhile.



You already did this part. Give yourself a pat on the back.



And this part. See? So easy.


Now that your brownies baking in the oven are smelling chocolatey and delicious, cut about 20 large marshmallows in half. If you have small marshmallows around, you can skip this altogether.

I love when I can skip steps. It means I can eat the brownies sooner.



When the brownies are about 3 minutes from done, take them out and place the marshmallows tightly across the almost-baked chocolate sheet. 

Then put them back in the oven to finish baking.



Now, mix a cup of melted chocolate chips and a cup of Rice Krispies.

And pour it over your marshmallow brownies.



And you're done. YUMMMMMM.

Ok. You'll have to trust me that these are unbelievably delicious. This picture really doesn't do it justice.



But this picture does.


Minis, my friends, are always the way to go.



They're delicious, they're super-cute, and you can eat more of them because they are bite-sized.



I'm pretty sure that that's the rule.


The top (if you can keep from eating them long enough to let the chocolate harden) is crunchy and solid like a chocolate bar, the marshmallow is chewy and sticky, and the brownie is perfectly fudgy.



Aren't you happy you made them? 

I'm happy for you. Now go eat.

B.faB and happy baking!


Ingredients
  • 1 box brownie mix + required ingredients
  • about 2 cups small marshmallows or 20 large, cut in half
  • 1 cup Rice Krispies
  • 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
Instructions
Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare brownies according to package instructions in a well-greased mini muffin tin or medium brownie pan of your choice (minis take about 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out mostly clean). Under-baking by about 3-5mins is usually safe and makes the brownies extra rich and fudgy. 

3 minutes before brownies are done, remove from oven, and completely cover with marshmallows. One halved marshmallow per mini brownie. Return to oven.

Melt chocolate chips in the microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring each time. Mix in Rice Krispies. Spread over marshmallow brownies. Allow to cool and serve.

1 comment:

  1. New reader here! I am not the baker in the house, but I love reading your posts anyway- great writing style and love the sense of humor- and yes, I will be sharing this site with my daughter- the baker around here! Thanks for sharing your recipes and funny insights!

    ReplyDelete