Friday 7 September 2012

Pumpkin Whoopie Pies and Mini Cakes

When they told me I could make cake out of just pumpkin puree and cake mix, I was skeptical. I thought the texture would be mushy and wet and that it just wouldn't work.

I should have known better. Especially after making cupcakes out of just cake mix and a can of coke.

But, as many kitchen experiments go, this one wasn't quite as planned.







I mixed my cake mix, can of pumpkin, and a half tablespoon of pumpkin spice.

Of course, I wanted to make minis, so I decided to make pumpkin-cake mix cupcakes, but the batter was thick and sticky.




So I made mini cakes instead.




I just scooped the batter into tablespoon-sized blobs and shaped them like little cakes.



They really keep their shapes, so if you want to be a perfectionist...well, these guys are not gonna be perfect. It's just not gonna happen. Sorry. I tried. 




But they come out pretty darned nice anyways.

You can eat these as is, and they're pretty sweet. But, as always, I want to take things to the next level.




Add some frosting and...




Voila mini cakes with walnuts!



Or mini cakes with pecans!




Or pumpkin whoopie pies! Best unplanned recipe ever. Whoopie pies. 4 ingredients. YES.




My favourite for sure was the walnut mini cakes.

The frosting had hints of pumpkin spice and the walnuts added an extra crunch.




Super easy and super cute. And super tasty.

It's my kind of recipe.

B.faB and happy baking!

Ingredients
Pumpkin Cakes
  • yellow cake mix (no additional ingredients)
  • 16oz can of pumpkin puree
  • 1/2 tbsp pumpkin spice (optional)
Frosting
  • 1 can frosting
OR
  • 6 oz soy cream cheese
  • 4 cups confectioners' sugar
  • pumpkin spice to taste, about 1/2 tbsp
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • walnuts, pecans 

Instructions
Preheat oven to 350F. Mix cake mix, pumpkin puree, and pumpkin spice well. Drop tablespoons of batter on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper. Smooth if desired. Bake for 20-22mins. Allow to cool completely.

Combine soy cream cheese, confectioners' sugar, pumpkin spice, and vanilla in bowl of stand mixer with paddle attachment until smooth. Adjust amount of sugar as needed.

Frost cakes and top with walnuts or pecans or another cake to form a whoopie pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment