Thursday 20 December 2012

Chocolate-Covered Pretzel Brownie Pie



This is what happens when I have no time to bake. Which right now, is all the time. I go through the following steps.
  1. I’m making brownies.
  2. I want to make a brownie pie. Those are cool.
  3. What can I use as a brownie crust that would taste good?
And that’s how this recipe was born. 





Layer pretzels on the bottom of your pie pan, about 2 pretzels thick. You do this to measure how many you will need. For me, it was just over 2 cups for a 9-inch pan.




Put the pretzels in a resealable plastic bag.




And enjoy some anger management therapy on them.

I would advise using a blunt object (rolling pin, pot bottom) for this. I used my hands, but it turns out that broken pretzels are sharp. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.




They should still be pretty large pretzel pieces. Grinding them to dust is not our aim this time.




Now coat them in melted chocolate.

Ok, I need to get myself some chocolate. Right. Now.




Stir them around so everyone gets some chocolate. When it comes to chocolate, sharing is definitely caring.

Pop this in the freezer while you make up your brownie mix.




Yum brownie batter.




Yum necessary additions of extra chocolate. I used white. And semisweet. Can’t have too much chocolate.




Here's the frozen chocolate-covered pretzel crust. Amazing.




Pour the brownie batter into your pie plate and bake for about 25-28 mins at 350F. Under-baking brownies is the way to go. You just don’t want the centre to be completely gooey when it comes out of the oven.




Oh, what? There wasn’t enough chocolate? Not to worry. We’ve got it covered. Literally.




And there it is. Chocolate brownie pie. Delicious.




And even though it was delicious, you couldn’t really tell that there would be a delicious, salty, crunchy crust below those layers of chocolate.




So I fixed it.




Better, right?




I’m not one to mess with perfection.




Oh, who am I kidding? Yes I am.




And I’m so glad I did.




Because then I fixed the whole pie. 




And all was well in the world.




Just look at those waves of chocolate crashing on the salty pretzels.




Now it’s perfect.

B.Fab and Happy Baking!


Ingredients
  • brownie mix + required ingredients on the box
  • 1 cup white chocolate chips
  • about 3 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips, separated
  • about 3 cups of pretzels

Instructions
Layer pretzels in pie pan about 2 pretzels thick (about 2 cups). Place pretzels in a resealable bag and break pretzels into medium-sized pieces. Return pretzels to pie pan. 

Melt about 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips in the microwave for 45 seconds. Stir well, then return for 30 more seconds. Continue until chocolate is melted. Pour over pretzels and stir to combine completely. Add more chocolate if desired. Freeze while brownies are being prepared.

Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare brownies according to package instructions. Stir in 1 cup white chocolate chips and 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, if desired. Pour brownie batter over frozen pretzel “pie crust”. Bake for 25-28 minutes. 

Melt last cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips. Drizzle half of it generously over brownie pie. Crush about 1 cup of pretzels in a resealable bag and sprinkle them over the chocolate. Drizzle remaining melted chocolate over pretzels.


1 comment:

  1. I love salty and sweet combos, and chocolate covered pretzels are one of my favorite snacks. This pie looks amazing! And I like how you left the pretzels medium size so it adds some texture. Great idea all around. :)

    ReplyDelete