Thursday 13 December 2012

Sushi Cupcakes and A RETURN TO BLOGGING!



Wow have I ever missed blogging. Who knew? Being a mom and working and blogging is hard or something. And apparently lots of people do that. I’m impressed. I, on the other hand, needed 3 months to catch my breath and finally get to those recipes that I’ve been wanting to share with you for so long. I’ve been baking and experimenting (and eating...), so there is LOTS to share.

Thanks for sticking around. It will have been worth the wait.

While I had eaten candy sushi (i.e. Rice Krispies rolled into Fruit Roll-ups), I had never had sushi cupcakes. So when I saw these, I knew that I would have to try them.


So I grabbed one of my Chocolate Fudge cake mixes.




And whipped it together.




And then looked longingly across a cupcake-lined landscape at the promise of a sushi-filled tomorrow.

Poetic, right?

Man, I missed looking at these photos.




Then pop out your little sushi babies.




Spread a little cream cheese frosting on them.

I use my easiest cream cheese frosting recipe for these:
4 oz Tofutti cream cheese
3 cups confectioners’ sugar

THAT’S IT. SERIOUSLY.
Oh, and it stays in the fridge basically forever. Hello homemade canned frosting.

You’re welcome.




Then dip them into some shredded coconut. I used sweetened coconut because I like sweet. Obviously.




Now take off the cupcake liners and poke some candies into your coconut mounds. I used halved Mike & Ike’s.




And there they are. Sushi cupcakes.



So cute.




They’re like real food. But made of cupcakes.




Oh, and if you have a little OCD with presentation and you get sugar-crystal-y gross stuff like this...



You can fix it with a damp paper towel. The water dissolves the crystals and it looks much better. You know. To people who care about that sort of thing.




I’m so glad I got a degree in chemistry so that I could solve this problem all by myself.



Feel free to serve with chopsticks.


And soy sauce, of course. Melted chocolate soy sauce that is.




If you’ve never tried a cupcake dipped in chocolate, you really really must. Cupcakes will never be the same.

Seriously. From now on you will have to eat all cupcakes with chocolate soy sauce. You’ll have to



Told you it would be worth the wait.

B.Fab and Happy Baking!


Ingredients
  • chocolate cake mix + ingredients required on box
  • 4oz Tofutti cream cheese*
  • 3 cups confectioner’s sugar
  • sweetened shredded coconut
  • Mike & Ike’s candies, cut in half

Instructions
Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare cake mix according to box instructions. Half-fill lined mini-muffin cups with cake batter and bake for 15-17 mins. Allow to cool.

Prepare frosting by whipping together cream cheese (or cream cheese substitute) with confectioners’ sugar in stand mixer with paddle attachment until smooth. Adjust amount of sugar according to desired texture.

Spread frosting on each cupcake. Dip in coconut to cover completely. Push in Mike & Ike’s or other candies. Remove liners immediately before serving to preserve freshness. 

Serve with melted chocolate “soy sauce”.

*Using Tofutti cream cheese allows this frosting to last well in the fridge (for months!), but you may use real cream cheese if you intend to use it before the expiration date on your cream cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment